Light & Crispy Oil-Free Tortilla Chips
Light and crispy! This method of making oil-free tortilla chips gives the best results for both taste and texture. I have experimented with other methods of making oil-free tortillas, but this one definitely is the winner.
Without the oil, that wonderful corn flavor comes through. For even more flavor, you can kick it up with ground spices like cumin and hot pepper as noted below in the
Homemade light & crispy oil-free tortillas are better tasting and healthier for you than any store bought chip. Store-bought tortilla chips usually have around 8 grams of fat for a 1 ounce serving which means about 50% of the total calories are from oil, adding unnecessary and unhealthy fat calories. These oil-free tortillas are fast to make. If you already have the tortillas and “Olivaise”, a homemade oil-free vegan mayonnaise, or the Luscious Oil-free Vegan Butter, these chips are faster to make than to going to the store to buy.
They stay crispy and fresh tasting for a long time, so can be made ahead if you have guests coming and other dishes to prepare. Six tortillas that are about 6in diameter, cut in four fit perfectly on a typical size bake sheet.
Perfect for scooping up your favorite salsa or dip; a great pairing with homemade oil-free salsa fresca. Light & crispy chips are also really good along side a nice bowl of Chile Bean Chili. So good!
Tools Used in this Recipe
- 2 baking sheets
- parchment paper
- lemon / lime squeezer
- shallow bowl with a diameter bigger than the tortilla
- small prep bowl for Olivaise /vegan butter mixture
- pastry or silicone brush
- Chef Knife
- Cutting Board
- 12 corn tortillas select a brand without added oil and as few ingredients as possible
- 3 tbls “Olivaise” Oil-free Vegan Mayonnaise
- OR Luscious Oil-free Vegan Butter
- 1 tbls water or lime or lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin optional
- 1 tsp ground coriander optional
- 2 tsp Aleppo pepper optional
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder optional
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F and line the bake sheets with the parchment paper.
- Mix the olivaise or oil-free vegan butter with water or lime or lemon juice (the addition of water or citrus juice is just to thin the olivaise enough to be able to brush a thin even layer on the tortillas and if using lime or lemon adds a little more citrus note.
- Place the first tortilla in the bowl and brush on the thinned olivaise or oil-free vegan butter. Sprinkle with the ground spices if using, then turn it over and brush the olivaise and more spice on the other side.
- Layer the next tortilla on top of the first and brush with the olivaise and sprinkle with spice if using. (no need to turn over).
- Continue layering each tortilla, brushing with the olivaise or vegan butter mixture, then a sprinkle of the spice on each one until all twelve are done.
- Cut the whole stack of tortillas to make four equal triangles. (Cut in half, then in half again)
- Starting in one corner of each bake sheet, place the triangles in a single layer alternating the top and bottom of the triangle shapes so you can fit more per sheet. Six tortillas (24 triangle chips) should fit just about perfect.
- Place both bake sheets in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove both sheets and turn over all of the triangles.
- Bake for 10 more minutes. If you like them darker and/or crispier bake a little longer, but keep a close watch they cook really fast at this point.Place the bake sheets back in the oven, putting the bake sheet that was on the top rack on the bottom and the bake sheet that was on the bottom rack on the top rack so that they cook more evenly. It also helps to rotate the sheets, the part of the sheet that was in the rear of the oven rotate to the front of the oven.
- Serve with your favorite chili, salsas and dips