Light & Crispy Oil-Free Tortilla Chips
October 6, 2017
Light and crispy! This method of making oil-free tortilla chips gives the best results for both taste and texture. I have experimented with other methods of making oil-free tortillas, but this one definitely is the winner. Without the oil, that wonderful corn flavor comes through. For even more flavor, you can kick it up with ground spices like cumin and hot pepper as noted below in the ingredients.
Oil-free tortillas are better tasting and healthier for you than any store bought chip. Store-bought tortilla chips usually have around 8 grams of fat for a 1 ounce serving which means about 50% of the total calories are from oil, adding unnecessary and unhealthy fat calories. These oil-free tortillas are fast to make. If you already have the tortillas and Olivaise , a homemade oil-free vegan mayonnaise, or the Luscious Oil-free Vegan Butter, these chips are faster to make than to going to the store to buy.
They stay crispy and fresh tasting for a long time, so can be made ahead if you have guests coming and other dishes to prepare. Six tortillas that are about 6in diameter, cut in four fit perfectly on a typical size bake sheet.
Perfect for scooping up your favorite salsa or dip; a great pairing with homemade oil-free salsa fresca. Light & crispy chips are also really good along side a nice bowl of Chile Bean Chili. So good!
- 12 corn tortillas (select a brand without added oil and as few ingredients as possible)
- 3 Tbls “Olivaise”, a homemade oil-free vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2–1 Tbls water or lime or lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin(optional)
- 1 tsp ground coriander (optional)
- 2 tsp Aleppo pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F and line the bake sheets with the parchment paper.
- Mix the olivaise or oil-free vegan butter with water or lime or lemon juice (the addition of water or citrus juice is just to thin the mixture enough to be able to brush a thin even layer on the tortillas and if using lime or lemon adds a little more citrus note.
- Place the first tortilla in the bowl and brush on the thinned mixture. Sprinkle with the ground spices if using, then turn it over and brush the olivaise mixture and more spice on the other side.
- Layer the next tortilla on top of the first and brush with the olivaise mixture and sprinkle with spice if using. (no need to turn over).
- Continue layering each tortilla, brushing with olivaise mixture and spicing each one until all twelve are done.
- Cut the whole stack of tortillas to make four equal triangles. (Cut in half, then in half again)
- Starting in one corner of each bake sheet, place the triangles in a single layer alternating the top and bottom of the triangle shapes so you can fit more per sheet. Six tortillas (24 triangle chips) should fit just about perfect.
- Place both bake sheets in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove both sheets and turn over all of the triangles.
- Place the bake sheets back in the oven, putting the bake sheet that was on the top rack on the bottom and the bake sheet that was on the bottom rack on the top rack so that they cook more evenly. It also helps to rotate the sheets, the part of the sheet that was in the rear of the oven rotate to the front of the oven.
- Bake for 5 more minutes. If you like them darker, bake a little longer, but keep a close watch they cook really fast at this point.
- Serve with your favorite chili, salsas and dips.
Tools I Use: 2 bake sheets; parchment paper; lemon/lime squeezer; shallow bowl with a diameter bigger than the tortilla; pastry or silicone brush
Prep Time: 5 minutes - Cook Time: 15 minutes
© The Noil Kitchen
Keep in touch with The Noil Kitchen: