Spiced Potato Skin Crispy Chips
A naturally SOS free treat
Potato skin crispy chips are great for when you have peeled potatoes for another dish, like mashed potatoes or potato leek soup.
Lots of flavor and fiber come from the skins, so its a wonderful way of saving the peels. Oil-free and salt-free spiced potato skin crispy chips are a perfect companion to mashed potatoes, see the recipe for the Golden Mashed Potato dish. They also make a nice addition to an appetizer tray with dips or garnish on a salad. And there is no salt, no oil and of course, no sugar, making them a naturally SOS free crispy treat for everyone to enjoy.
To give the potato crispy chips a bright and spicy flavor, I toss them with a white vinegar, like a rice vinegar or lime juice and spices then let them rest for about 15 minutes before baking them in the oven. This rest time makes it so the spices infuse flavor and don’t over cook or burn during the bake time. You can use the dried spices listed below or any selection of dried spices you like. The oil-free potato skin crispy chips will stay crispy and will be good for several a few days stored in the refrigerator.
Tools Used in this Recipe
- medium sized prep bowl
- salad spinner
- vegetable scrub gloves or scrub brush
- potato peeler
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 6–8 Potatoes (Potato skin peels only)
- 1 tbls white vinegar or lemon juice or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper or 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scrub and peel the potatoes if you haven’t already done so for another dish.
- Place skins in a bowl large enough for the skins, add the vinegar, or lime juice to coat the skins.
- Sprinkle with spices. Start with turmeric and toss, then continue with the rest of the spices (the ones listed or your own mix)
- Set aside for 15 minutes. This rest time allows the spices to pick up moisture so they won’t overcook during the roasting.
- Drain excess liquid, if any.
- Place the peels on a parchment lined bake pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn the peels over with tongs. Separate the skins if any have stuck together.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with your mashed potatoes, as appetizer with dips or with a salad.
- They stay crispy stored in the refrigerator for a few days